Wednesday 20 July 2011

MBA - Day 0

Day 0 - Monday 23rd May 2011

“I’m just going out for a cycle ride!” I’d said it so many times before. But can you really blame a mother for being a tad concerned when this particular cycle ride covers about 3,000 miles and at least 4 countries? Let’s be fair, it is a bit further than the casual afternoon ride around the local country lanes. It’s either going to be the ride of a lifetime or else the biggest catastrophe I’ve ever been involved in. But however it turns out, I’m as giddy as a schoolboy in anticipation of what’s to come! (I don’t really understand the phrase “as giddy as a schoolboy” but for some reason I like it and keep using it...)


I don’t understand why something like this excites me so much. For some people it must be close to being their worst nightmare. I mean, I’m pretty much guaranteed to have an aching backside at the end of Day 1; aching knees and legs halfway through Day 2; and if I do actually make it to Greece I’ll probably wish I could fly back... and that’s not beyond the realms of possibility. But for some reason I thought it’d be fun. It’s that sense of adventure; the thrill of the unknown. We don’t have to have everything sorted. We don’t have to plan for every eventuality.


I remember a phone call I had with my mum a few weeks ago. She commented how she was quite worried about me going off on this trip but was glad to hear (from dad) that I had planned it well. I’m pleased that eased her mind – thanks dad for that – because the reality may have been (and still is!) somewhat different!


From one point of view I’ve been very organised. By the beginning of April I had maps of France, Italy and Greece. In fact, back around Christmas time I had the first 8 days partially planned. I figured that in the midst of final year university work I’d be able to spend one evening a week planning this trip. It all seemed so easy. Little did I know... You see, with university work, you have deadlines. If the deadline comes and goes and the right amount of work isn’t handed in, you lose marks. It’s that simple, and it’s quite important really (well, certainly if you want a good result). But with a cycle trip, it’s a little different. I had a date in mind – today, the 23rd of May – and I knew things had to be sorted before I went. But there’s no “pass” or “fail.” As long as I had a ferry ticket (which I could have bought at the port) and checked in at the right time, I could get to France. The fact that route preparation never went beyond that partial planning of the first 8 days isn’t really a problem. It just means more work day-to-day as I have to think about where I’m going instead of looking at a piece of paper I’d prepared earlier.


I had intended to write down the route, complete with all the roads I’d be using, for all the countries I’d be in, including the campsites I’d be staying at. I’d know when I’d need to catch the ferry from Italy to Greece, have the tickets pre-booked, and even know when I’d be back home again. I had even decided to include extra days here and there in case anything went wrong, or in case I fancied spending the odd day here and there doing more “touristy” things. In my mind it was well planned. It just never made it to paper. But you know, looking back at the lack of planning, it doesn’t actually bother me. It’s not that I’m irresponsible and carefree (although that may be true to some extent), it’s because actually I see some advantage to being a little less prepared. I’m not tied down to particular ferries. I don’t have to be somewhere at a particular time. I won’t be worrying that I’m behind schedule. Personally, I find it quite relaxing. I can take my time. I can get 20 punctures in one day without the stress of only having travelled 10 miles. Maybe I’m one of those lucky guys, an exception, but I find that no matter how much – or little – planning I put in, things have a way of working out in the end. In fact, only yesterday a friend of mine, Jon, said how he would be worried about me doing this trip, especially knowing what I’m like with bikes, but he’s not because somehow I can get things to work, just long enough to get back home ok.


I can imagine after reading that you’re probably wondering what I’m like with bikes. Well, here’s the situation: I’m riding on an old Raleigh Banana which I bought for £45 off eBay about 3 years ago. The frame was good, but the rest of it needed a bit of love. So, a year later and having ridden it for over 500 miles, I bought new gearing for it (only 10 gears, but with a large range to allow for good speed on the flat as well as making hills a piece of cake), a new chain, new wheels and new tyres. I even found an old rack for the back, securing it with a bit of string and gaffer tape! But that was a while back now.


Last week I decided it would be a good idea to get another set of tyres, a new chain and new brake pads. The wheels should last and I put a new rack on the back a few months ago (since the first one was orange with rust), securing this one with make-shift brackets – no tape this time! I was actually organised enough to buy the parts before leaving (albeit only 2 days ago), but I haven’t found the time to fit them yet. So tomorrow’s riding will be on the old tyres (700x23c), with a prayer that they don’t burst under the weight. It’ll be fine......!


I’ve actually surprised myself a little in that I have with me French, Italian, Greek and German dictionaries. Hopefully I’ll be able to communicate a bit. But that wouldn’t have mattered if I hadn’t managed to secure the money for the trip... which was sorted today! I looked into getting one of these travel cards to save carrying a heap of cash around. That was about 4 days ago. Some were charging €2 for every ATM transaction... not helpful considering I prefer to work with cash. I found one which was free, but I was cutting it fine to have it delivered before I left. As I thought about it, I realised I’d left it too late so it had to be Plan B: a trip to the bank to take out a little over £1,000 (I’ve never seen that many £50 notes in one place!), followed by a quick trek to the Post Office to convert it to a little over €1,100. Now I’m hoping no one finds out I have that much cash on me...


Yet despite the bad organisation, here I am sat on a ferry to France, with a bike laden with all the camping gear, bike tools (and limited spare parts), clothes and maps that I should need for a great adventure.


Bring on tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment