Friday 22 July 2011

MBA - Day 6

Day 6 – Sunday 29th May 2011

“Avallon, O Avallon!”


Pete Postlethwaite’s character – a wandering minstrel – comes up with that in the film Dragonheart (in my opinion, one of the best dragon films out there). When I saw Avallon on the map, I just wanted to be able to say I’d been there (and to write, “Avallon, O Avallon!”)... I know that’s very sad, and in French it’s not even pronounced the same... oh well, never mind.


It was another fine day in the land of France, with the birds a-chirpin’ and the bees a-buzzin’ and the crickets... doing what they do. Not a cloud in the sky, only the sun up high as I cycle by. The rays beating me down, turning me brown, as I go through town. Well, actually, that’s not quite true... my arms have started peeling, revealing some nice fresh skin ready for the roasting tomorrow.


Having decided to take it easy today, not doing so many miles, I had a nice, casual ride along the Yonne river. Being Sunday, there were lots of people out and about, walking, cycling, running... even a couple of scooters (not the moped kind, the ones you push along with your foot... “scooting”) and what I presume were their three daughters on rollerblades!


Trying to get off the riverside path and onto the road at Vermenton was interesting... a narrow track littered with stones and tree roots – the sort of path I like to mountain bike down – culminating in a wooden barrier, about 3 inches too narrow for my bike to get through with all the luggage on. Well done Mike, that’s another silly situation you’ve got yourself in!


Heave-ho! And off we go... again... only to take a break a few miles down the road. The sun is really hot, especially at 1pm, so I found a little roadside restaurant to have a coke. There’s a big gang of people sat outside and I enjoy listening to them speak French, with no clue as to what they’re saying. After a while they turn to me and we have a bit of conversation. They ask where I’m headed...


“Today, Avallon.”


“Oh, that’s only about 18 kilometres.”


“Tomorrow, Beaune.”


“Oooh, that’s over 100 kilometres from Avallon!” They think I must be nuts to do that much in one day. I have a smile on my face.


“After that, Italy and Rome!”


“No!” One of the guys can’t believe it – he thinks I’m out of my mind... so, just to confirm it for him...


“And after that, Greece!”


Gobsmacked.


“On that bike?!”


“Err...”


They decided that’s it’s probably a good thing I have a couple of spare tyres with me. I bid them a fine farewell and am on my way again... and have another stop shortly after for some food – my own (I wasn’t going to buy any at the restaurant). Half a baguette and the last of the Brie – which was an excellent find as it lasted me 4 baguettes! – and I finished the kiwis I bought a few days ago (that would be the fruit kind, as opposed to any other kind).


Kiwis are interesting. I was always taught that you cut them in half and dig out the green bit with a spoon, leaving the brown skin well alone. However, a number of years ago someone told me that you can eat them like an apple... they showed me, I copied, and it was ok. But I don’t have kiwis that often and I reverted back to the old way. Then I saw them a few days ago and thought, “Why not?” Over the last few days they’ve been getting nicer and nicer as they’ve gotten riper and riper, and the ones I had today tasted much like pears – including the skin. So there we go. Go get those kiwis!


And then I get to Avallon (O Avallon!) and head to another lovely campsite. The only problem is that it’s down a massive hill... that I’ve got to go back up in the morning. An early start to get most of the miles out of the way before the midday sun, hopefully. Fun!


Stats


Mileage = 35.15 miles

Riding time = 3 hours 12 minutes

Average speed = 10.9 mph

Top speed = 25.3 mph


Total mileage since start = 372.1

No comments:

Post a Comment